Thursday, October 29, 2009

I'm Too Busy....

I'm just too busy. I'm too busy to take care of my self physically. I don't often eat healthy. I don't exercise or get enough sleep. I'm just too busy.

I'm too busy to nurture the relationships in my life. I'm too busy to spend good, quality time with my wife. I'm too busy to play with my kids. I'm too busy to mend the broken relationships with my siblings and my parents. I just don't have time to give the love that my family deserves.

I'm too busy to develop my mind. I don't have time to sit down and read a book or article that will stretch me intellectually--that will help expand my world view and give a clearer picture of life.

I'm too busy to pray. I don't take the time I need to spend in silence talking with God. I am too busy to find a spiritual director. Even if I did have one, I'd be too busy to receive the much needed direction.

What am I too busy doing? I don't know. I'm too busy keeping busy. God gives us enough time every day to do the things He wants us to do. Why do I find it difficult to take care of myself physically, emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually? Why do I find it difficult to find the time to do what God wants me to do? Because I'm too busy doing what I want to do.

What are you too busy doing?

Heavenly Father, Give me the grace to see what you want me to do. Give me the strength to give up what I want to do and, instead, to do what you want me to do. For it is in doing your will that I will find the time to do what needs to be done. It is in doing your will that I will find true happiness.

“Lack of prayer is the cause of lack of time.” – Peter Kreeft

3 comments:

Tim Burke said...

I'm glad you enjoy my blog so much!

Shane Kapler said...

Convicted!

Marcy K. said...

This is absolutely true. I complain I don't have enough time but I wasted the day at the computer, just getting done the bare minimum. I do what I want to do, not what God is calling me to do in my vocation. This sloth is a "spiritual cancer" I have read in, I think, a Fr. Thomas Dubay book "Seeking Spiritual Direction" and that is why it is deadly. I tell myself I'm at least getting research done for my blog, but it is really putting things off chasing the latest thing. Recognizing it is important, but having the will to change is the real thing and all we can do is pray for it and try each day over again.