Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I Can Walk On Water!


One of my favorite bible passages is from Matthew. It is the passage where Jesus walks on water and Peter attempted to walk to Christ on the water (Matthew 14:22-33). Growing up Catholic and going to a Catholic grade school, I heard this passage many, many times. I never thought much of it other than the fact that Jesus was God and Peter wasn't and that is why Peter couldn't walk on water.

When I was in high school a priest led me and others in a guided meditation of this passage while we were on a retreat. He had us close our eyes and imagine the scene in our minds. He then reread the passage, but this time he wanted us to imagine ourselves as Peter getting out of the boat and walking to Christ on the water. This was a very powerful experience for me. It was powerful because as I was imagining myself standing in the boat and Christ calling to me to walk to him I was frozen in fear. I couldn't get out of the boat. I didn't trust myself. More importantly, I didn't trust God. Tears started flowing down my face as I struggled with this fear. This meditation was the beginning of my faith journey. Sure I went to Catholic school. I went to Mass every week, but my faith meant nothing more to me than that. I began my journey in trust that week.

So, here I am, 19 years later. Have I trusted Christ throughout the past two decades? Sometimes, yes, but mostly no. It is extremely difficult to give your life away. Christ wants to lead us to so many wonderful and beautiful things. We just need to let go of our fears, let go of what WE want, and trust Him. We need to get out of the boat and walk to Him, knowing that we won't sink. I trust Christ more now than I did. I've learned that His ways are better than mine. I've learned to go. Every once in a while, I'll look away from Christ as Peter did and start to sink into the water. But as long as I keep my eyes focused on Him, I can walk on water. And you can, too!

No comments: