Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Prayer and the Will of God: A Book Review

It's been a while since I've reviewed a book. I've spent a lot of time with this book, not because it was a difficult read, but because I've wanted to prayerfully consider what Van Zeller is telling his readers.


All in all, this is a fabulous book. The ultimate goal of this book is to help its readers, as the title indicates, to merge prayer with the will of God. Prayer, without surrendering to God's will, is nothing. It is not fruitful. You must be willing to surrender your will to God's in order to have effective prayer...and a joyful life.


What I enjoyed most about this book is the fact that it is realistic. What I found particularly beneficial is the chapter on distracted prayer. What Van Zeller tells his readers is that you cannot pray without distractions. I so often get frustrated with myself for being distracted while in prayer and I found it beneficial to me to find that it is natural to have distractions. The challenge is what you do with those distractions. Do you allow them to take you away from your prayer, or do you push them aside and refocus on surrendering your will to God.


Van Zeller provides practical advice throughout his book that we can take into our prayer lives and make it more fruitful. If you are seeking help with prayer in your own life, grab a copy of this book. You can get Prayer and the Will of God from The Catholic Company.


(I received this book for free in return for giving an honest review of it.)

No comments: