Today had a really rough start around our house. I woke up early (too early, if you ask me) this morning, drenched with sweat. I got up to discover that the A/C had ceased to work....and it's Saturday, which means we have be bear the oppressive Florida heat all weekend long. The fact that the A/C broke, and on a weekend, raised my stress and frustration level to new heights. I am irritable, lashing out at my wife and kids. I am stressed about how we are going to pay for the necessary repairs. All in all, it was a horribly miserable morning in our household.
This afternoon, I had to go to a funeral for a deacon from one of the parishes I work for. After a long life and a battle with cancer, he finally went to be with our Lord. I knew the good deacon and his wife, but not well. I found myself during the Mass reflecting on life, death, and the morning I had. Life is precious. It is also very short. We should treasure each and every moment of life. Upon reflecting on this, I realized how inconsequential, how petty, my frustration is. My life, my relationship with my wife and my children, is far more important than the comfort of A/C. In the grand scheme of things, what difference does it make if I spend a couple of days without cool air. My stress over the upcoming bill to repair the issue is also a petty concern.
I had become so wrapped up in material comforts--cool air and money in the bank--that I neglected my wife. I neglected my children. I need to learn to let go of my material comforts....all of them. I need to use this weekend as an opportunity to grow from my lack of comfort. The A/C will get fixed one way or another. God has always provided us with everything that we need. He has also always provided a way for us to enjoy the comforts of air conditioning. I need to learn that my trust in God and my relationship with my family is far more important than anything else.