Thursday, November 12, 2009

Doers of the Word: A Book Review


I recently read Doers of the Word by Archbishop Timothy M. Dolan as a part of the reviewer program for The Catholic Company. I have been wanting to read on of his books for a long time as was excited when I saw it as a part of the program.

This book is not what I expected it to be. I expected it to be a typical book on faith and spiritually. While it is a book on faith and spirituality, it is set up differently than a standard book. It is set up as a series of short essays on a range of Catholic subjects. I really enjoyed this format because in my busy schedule I don't have a lot of time to sit down and read long chapters.

Abp. Dolan does a fantastic job at helping readers to understand the precepts of our faith, from the Sacraments, to the liturgical calendar, to Mary and the Saints. He closes the book out with a chapter entitled "Workers in the Vineyard." This is our call to action. Abp. Dolan takes key issues in our Catholic faith and explains, in plain English, the reason for our stance and the need for us to take a stand on these issues that plague our society. The issues he tackles range from abortion to caring for the sick.

I really enjoyed reading Abp. Dolan's book. I looked forward to picking it up every day and am longing to read more of his work.

(Required Big Brother Disclosure: I received this book for free in return for writing an honest review of it.)

1 comment:

Shane Kapler said...

Tim, just saw that you had released your Volume 1 - my sincere congratulations! You are an excellent writer, and I'm glad that you discerned you should keep producing your blog.