Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A New Tradition

We are starting a new tradition this year in our household. I received a sample of oplatki from Aquinas&More. What, you ask, is oplatki? I wondered the same thing. Oplatki is a beautiful Christmas tradition in Eastern Europe. From the Aquinas & More Website:
Among Catholic families in Poland, Lithuania, Slovakia and the Czech Republic, the start of the traditional Wigilia (Christmas Eve Vigil) meal begins with the Oplatki, Oblatky, or Plotkele, a thin Communion-like rectangular wafer made of unleavened bread and stamped with different Christmas symbols. Some families call it the “bread of Love” and it is widely known in English-speaking countries simply as the Christmas wafer. Some eastern German families are also known to use a wafer called Opladen in their Christmas cooking.(read the whole story here.)
I'm really looking forward to this new tradition. We received enough oplatki to hand out to friends and family, so maybe they will start a new tradition as well.

(Note: I received a shipment of oplatki for free in return for writing an honest review.)

No comments: