Monday, October 18, 2010

Defining Moment

I have had many defining moments in my life. It’s hard to pick just one. My marriage was certainly a defining moment. The birth of my first child was also a defining moment. But I think that one of the most significant defining moments in my life was my decision to leave the seminary because it impacted the other defining moments in my life.

Entering the seminary, for me, was not a defining moment. It just seemed like the next logical step for me in my life. Discerning to leave the seminary was extremely difficult for me. I was afraid that I was going to disappoint my parents. I was afraid I was going to disappoint my classmates and the seminary directors. I was afraid I was going to disappoint God. 

In the end, I saw that God was calling me to leave the seminary. It was a defining moment because it laid the ground work for the rest of my life. It was also a defining moment because, for the first time in my life, I realized that I could actually hear the voice of God speaking to me. Not an audible voice coming down from heaven, but a whisper in the silence of my heart.

 I think it is important for all of us to recognize the defining moments in our lives, for it is in those defining moments that we all can see the work of God in our lives. God was at work in my life. I was unable to see it then, but because of my decision to leave the seminary I now have a wonderful wife and 5 beautiful children. Because of that defining moment, I now have a deeper relationship with our Lord, a more personal relationship. 

What are the defining moments in your life? Discover them, and you will discover God.

No comments: