Monday, June 7, 2010

The Wisdom of Dumbledore

Michael Gambon as Albus Dumbledore in Harry Po...Image via Wikipedia
"Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy." ~Albus Dumbledore

Last night I watched the fourth Harry Potter movie with my wife. I've read all 7 of the books and enjoyed them all. Now, now...don't start filling my comment box with criticisms that Harry Potter is evil. This is not a post on whether or not the Harry Potter series of books are good or bad. Rather, it is about the above quote.

There is a great amount of wisdom in those words. Dark and difficult times do lie ahead. In fact, I believe that dark and difficult times are already here. No, I'm not talking politically or economically. I'm talking specifically about life in general. Life is difficult. Yet, we all try to convince ourselves otherwise.

We live in a culture of convenience. We want what is easy. We seek instant gratification. If it takes time, if it takes energy, if it takes effort, we want to have nothing to do with it. The problem, as Dumbledore wisely points out, is that what is easy is not always what is right.

Think about that for a moment? I know what I should do, what is right. I need to strengthen my relationship with God, to pray more and read the bible more. I need to strengthen my relationship with my spouse, to spend time with her and deepen our relationship. I need to be more patient with my kids. All these things are right, yet, at least for me, none of them are easy.

Life isn't supposed to be easy. Jesus never said it would be. In fact, he said quite the opposite, "If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." (Luke 9:23). Carrying a cross is hard. Yet, it's the right thing to do. It's what Christ is asking us to do. We all "face the choice between what is right and what is easy". Which one are you going to choose?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Maggie @ From the Heart said...

This comment of Dumbledore's has always got me thinking about life in general. I totally agree with everything in your post. I always relate it to my spirital life especially. Sure it'd be easier to pop in a pill to control my fertility. Sure it'd be easier to sleep in instead of going to Mass. Sure it would be easier to go with the main-cultural flow instead of standing up for my beliefs as a Catholic. But we all know that the right way to go is much better than the easier way to go! Great post!

Joe @ Defend Us In Battle said...

I understand the "fear" that some Christians and Catholics have regarding the HP books.

What I do not understand, is how those people can not at least understand that some of us, are OK in reading them. (ie Well guarded mature readers, seeking THEMES and lessons) through entertainment.

Now, I know you dont want to make this a RIGHT or WRONG to read them post, but like Maggie said the themes have always made me think about my life and faith. ESPECIALLY the discussion about death. Dumbledore's comments about death always lend themselves to the idea that death is not a finality, but a process and step. The Catholic theme of death not being "the worst thing" is central to the character of dumbledore. I often used to speak about these two themes (the one you mentioned and the one I mentioned) in debates with folks about the usefulness of the books.

Great post... if there wasn't so much anti-HP sentiment, I might actually make some posts about it...